Guest Speaker: Pat McWhorter
Slaying the Giant of Envy & Doubt || Psalm 73
A Psalm of Asaph Study Guide
Asaph was an important worship leader appointed by King David
1 Chronicles 6:31-33,39 (NLT)
31 David assigned the following men to lead the music at the house of the LORD after the Ark was placed there.
32 They ministered with music at the Tabernacle until Solomon built the Temple of the LORD in Jerusalem. They carried out their work, following all the regulations handed down to them.
33 These are the men who served, along with their sons: Heman the musician was from the clan of Kohath. His genealogy was traced back through Joel, Samuel,
39 Heman’s first assistant was Asaph from the clan of Gershon. Asaph’s genealogy was traced back through Berekiah, Shimea,
He also was present at the Temple dedication ceremony that Solomon built in 2 Chronicles 5 .
1. Envious of Their Prosperity (3-5)
Psalm 73:3 - For I envied the proud when I saw them prosper despite their wickedness.
2. Envious of Their Pride (6-9)
Psalm 73:6a - They wear pride like a jeweled necklace and clothe themselves with cruelty.
3. Envious of Their Popularity (10-12)
Psalm 73:10 - And so the people are dismayed and confused, drinking in all their words.
4. He’ll be a companion
- God is always there – what a privilege! He has taken a hold of my right hand – I’m not holding His – He is holding mine!
- That’s all the difference in the world! – If I’m holding His, I could slip & let go! But if He is holding me – when I slip – He does not let go!
ILLUS: Walking with your children when they are young you take a firm grip on them right so they don’t get hurt or lost, God has you the same way.
He is holding onto me!
5. He’ll give you guidance
Psalm 73:24a - You guide me with your counsel,
6. He’ll give you a future
Psalm 73:24b - leading me to a glorious destiny.
7. He’ll give you a purpose/desire
Psalm 73:25 - Whom have I in heaven but you? I desire you more than anything on earth.
- Have you gotten to that point? Do you see what’s happening?
- Is the situation in the world changed? – No
- Asaph has changed – right before our eyes!
- Where did he get it? – the sanctuary of God led him to a change.- “I have You up there so I don’t need anyone but You down here!”- “I am surrounded by You!
8. He’ll give you strength
Psalm 73:26 - My health may fail, and my spirit may grow weak, but God remains the strength of my heart; he is mine forever.
- We are frail, Paul calls us jars of clay– But God is strong!
- People getting over on you are doing it on their own strength – but they to are frail – they are going to fall!
9. He’ll give you protection
Psalm 73:27 - Those who desert him will perish, for you destroy those who abandon you.
He already destroyed them, even though they haven’t been destroyed yet! – their fate is sealed!
10. He’ll give you a testimony
Psalm 73:28 - But as for me, how good it is to be near God! I have made the Sovereign LORD my shelter, and I will tell everyone about the wonderful things you do.