We have one body for this life. It represents the physical, mental, spiritual, and emotional life we have.
- You have one body and you need to take care of it.
Romans 11: 36 - For everything comes from him and exists by his power and is intended for his glory. All glory to him forever! Amen.
- Is your body prepared to accomplish your mission on earth?
- Are you physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually ready?
>>> That is what “Body for Life” is all about. Getting yourself prepared to do the work of the father. Today we are talking about water. If your body is going to operate to its optimum performance you need water.
I. Health benefits of water
A. Water is your body's principal chemical component and makes up about 60 percent of your body weight.
- Every system in your body depends on water.
- Water flushes toxins out of vital organs, carries nutrients to your cells, and provides a moist environment for ear, nose and throat tissues.
- Water is the grease. When you are hydrated all your cells work at peak capacity.
B. The problem | Chronic dehydration
- Up to 75 percent of the American population fall short of the 10 daily cups prescribed by the Institute of Medicine – which, in medical terms, means that most people in the U.S are functioning in a chronic state of dehydration.
>>> It shouldn’t surprise us that water has important symbolism in the scriptures. In Jewish writings water is a very rich symbol God himself can be called "the spring of living water" (Jer 2:13; 17:13).
II. The feast of the tabernacles. Sukkot
A. Jewish Festival of Shelters
Deuteronomy 16: 13-15 - “You must observe the Festival of Shelters[c] for seven days at the end of the harvest season, after the grain has been threshed and the grapes have been pressed. 14 This festival will be a happy time of celebrating with your sons and daughters, your male and female servants, and the Levites, foreigners, orphans, and widows from your towns. 15 For seven days you must celebrate this festival to honor the Lord your God at the place he chooses, for it is he who blesses you with bountiful harvests and gives you success in all your work. This festival will be a time of great joy for all.
- A sukkah is the name of the temporary dwelling in which farmers would live during harvesting,
- 7 day feast memorialized God's holy Dwelling place, the desert Tabernacle and Now at the temple in Jerusalem.
- On each day of the feast there was a procession of priests to the pool of Siloam to draw water (m. Sukka 4:9). The priests returned to the temple, where the water was taken in procession once around the altar with the choir chanting Psalms 113-118
B. Back story John 7
- Now Jesus was supposed to go but the religious leaders were trying to kill him so he was in galilee. His brothers were pushing him to go back to Judea and do miracles like the messiah he claimed to be. They were not convinced he was the messiah.
- He tells them you go on. He come later.
III. Jesus Rocks the temple.
On the seventh day of the festival the priests processed around the altar with the water not once but seven times.
John 7:37-38 - On the last and most important day of the festival, Jesus stood up and cried out, “If anyone is thirsty, he should come to Me and drink! 38 The one who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, will have streams of living water flow from deep within him.”
A. At this high point of the festival Jesus dramatically cries out loudly
"The one who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, will have streams of living water flow from deep within him.”
- What Jesus offers is the fulfillment of the very things they were celebrating. Here is grace upon grace (Jn 1:16). Here the Son is repeating the offer of the Father, "Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters" (Is 55:1).
B. Jesus, in offering the Spirit (v. 39), is claiming to be able to satisfy people's thirst for God.
John 7:39 - He said this about the Spirit. Those who believed in Jesus were going to receive the Spirit, for the Spirit had not yet been received because Jesus had not yet been glorified.
- Jesus refers to the Holy Spirit as the living water.
C. Sealed with the Spirit
- Those who believe in Christ are sealed.
Ephesians 1:13-14 13 - When you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and when you believed in Him, you were also sealed with the promised Holy Spirit. 14 He is the down payment of our inheritance, for the redemption of the possession, to the praise of His glory.
- Jesus says to all… The longing for God is met with God's invitation to come and be satisfied. In Jesus, God's own desire for man is expressed and the desire of man for God is met.
- His invitation at the Feast of Tabernacles is repeated in the invitation at the end of the book of
Revelation: "Whoever is thirsty, let him come; and whoever wishes, let him take the free gift of the water of life" (Rev 22:17).
IV. Preparing to be used by God preparing to lead others to new life.
A. You, Christian, have had the well Spring of Living water placed in you.
- You can drink deeply of the spirit to wipe away the thirst you have of this world
- You are a ambassador of this Gospel that anyone who comes to Jesus will have streams of living water flow from deep within him.”
B. The H.S. within us reacts like physical water
- The Holy Spirit is your body's (physical spiritual mental and emotional) principal chemical component
- As every system in your body depends on water. Every aspect of life depends on the H.S. to glorify God.
C. Being filled with the Holy Spirit
- This statement is meant for us to understand that the Spirit of God is the well spring of life in us.
- We need to ask God every day. To empty this vessel out and fill us with water of the H.S. To flush out the toxins and quench the thirst that leads us into temptation.
You have one body for life. It needs water to operate as it was intended. Believe in Jesus and you will have streams of living water flow from deep within you” How are we filled with the H.S.? Same as putting on the whole Armor of God. We ask in faith.
Father this is my one body I put on the whole armor of God to protect it for your work I drink deeply of the living water that you have placed in me so that I may live by your Spirit.