You Get What You Give
I. Number one rule of relationships. The rule of Reciprocation.
A. Whether you are a rule follower, or not, relationships have rules.
- If I text you 3 full sentences you cannot text me back the letter k or a thumbs up.
- You can’t date your best friend’s ex.
B. Rule of reciprocation:
- The give and take rule. I give so you owe me / I cooked, you do the dishes.
- I came to your house now you have to come to mine this week.
C. There are a few problems with this rule.
- Not everyone gets the same message
- Another problem is we feel like we are the only ones giving
- Then enemy wants us to keep score so we will drive a wedge. So that we are offended.
- Destruction is his goal, division his strategy and tactic is offense.
When we live in this give and take relationship we are trapped waiting for someone to do the right thing. Jesus is trying to change the way we see reciprocation. He is changing the rules for His followers.
I. He is changing the norm.
Luke 6:35-38 - But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. 36 Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful. 37 “Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. 38 Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. The amount you give will determine the amount you get back.
A. Verse 38 is the ultimate relational verse in the scripture.
- We always think about finances all around this verse.
- Jesus is talking about love, mercy, kindness and forgiveness real relational stuff.
B. 3 words to change the way we think about reciprocation and revolutionize your relationship.
GIVE and IT will be GIVEN
- When we say give we are not talking about finances, but about serving in relationships.
- Give what you want. Forgive and you will be forgiven, have mercy and you will get mercy.
- You want attention, give attention; You want romance, give romance; You want affection, give affection; You want respect, give respect; You want affirmation, affirm someone; You want thanked, thank someone.
- Jesus never says give when you feel like it. If I waited around till I felt like it, I would never serve.
- He give out of obedience.
Philippians 2:8 - He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death—even to death on a cross.
- I know what you are thinking
- I was the one that was wronged and now I must be the bigger person again.
- I can drop that offense because Jesus will not ask me to do anything he hasn’t already done for me.
- God is not a formula, so if you buy Starbucks for everyone don’t sit and wait for your latte.
- Watch your motives if I’m serving to get we step out of Gods rule to give without expectation.
- What is given to me? What’s your need? Give what you want and you will get what you need.
- God knows what you need, acceptance encouragement miracle in marriage. Sometimes it's exactly what you gave. other times God meets a deeper need one that we might have given up on.
ILLUS: 2 Kings 4:8-37 - Elisha and the Shunammite Woman.
- Sometimes when you give god gives you something you didn’t know you needed. Give what you want and get what you need.
- We must understand that God is the giver.
- True fulfillment doesn’t come from your relationship with others it comes from your relationship with God. He may bless me through them but my fulfillment comes from my relationship with God.
Col 3:23 - Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men,
- It is the Lord you are serving when you serve others.
Proverbs 19:17 - Whoever is kind to the poor lends to the LORD, and he will reward them for what they have done.
- You serve God, He is the one that rewards you.
- We must Realize that He is the giver. The reward comes from Him.
True fulfillment cannot come through your relationship with others. It comes from God. Here is the catch. You will never get that fulfillment until you give or serve others.
Matthew 16:25 - If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake, you will save it.
- If you give for my sake you will save your life. Life, full and abundant and free.
Luke 6:38 - Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. The amount you give will determine the amount you get back.
Give, Serve… and IT, what you truly need… Will be Given, because God is the giver. You will be fulfilled by God and you will never have to worry about reciprocation. Jesus said, this is what you were told but I’m telling you how it is. Give and it will be given.