I. Say the grace
A. Saying grace
- Where does it come from? “Saying grace” refers to the practice of thanking God for the food before a meal. It is also called “saying the blessing.”
- Such prayers follow the examples of Jesus, and the apostle Paul, both of whom “said grace” before meals (see Acts 27:35).
- God is good, God is great, let us thank him for the food, Amen
B. Moses made it a commandment
Deuteronomy 8:7-9 - For the Lord your God is bringing you into a good land of flowing streams and pools of water, with fountains and springs that gush out in the valleys and hills. 8 It is a land of wheat and barley; of grapevines, fig trees, and pomegranates; of olive oil and honey. 9 It is a land where food is plentiful and nothing is lacking. It is a land where iron is as common as stone, and copper is abundant in the hills. 10 When you have eaten your fill, be sure to praise the Lord your God for the good land he has given you.
- I am getting ready to bless you. Don’t forget to praise me for it. That turned into saying the blessing or saying grace.
C. But there is more to it.
Deuteronomy 8:11-19 - “But that is the time to be careful! Beware that in your plenty you do not forget the Lord your God and disobey his commands, regulations, and decrees that I am giving you today. 12 For when you have become full and prosperous and have built fine homes to live in, 13 and when your flocks and herds have become very large and your silver and gold have multiplied along with everything else, be careful! 14 Do not become proud at that time and forget the Lord your God, who rescued you from slavery in the land of Egypt. 15 Do not forget that he led you through the great and terrifying wilderness with its poisonous snakes and scorpions, where it was so hot and dry. He gave you water from the rock! 16 He fed you with manna in the wilderness, a food unknown to your ancestors. He did this to humble you and test you for your own good. 17 He did all this so you would never say to yourself, ‘I have achieved this wealth with my own strength and energy.’ 18 Remember the Lord your God. He is the one who gives you power to be successful, in order to fulfill the covenant he confirmed to your ancestors with an oath. 19 “But I assure you of this: If you ever forget the Lord your God and follow other gods, worshiping and bowing down to them, you will certainly be destroyed.
- If you forget, that will block the flow of blessing and lead to destruction.
- Maybe what you need isn’t the next level of accomplishment or the next level of accumulation but the next level of appreciation to get you ready for your future.
D. You must SAY the GRACE.
Psalm 107:2 - Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he hath redeemed from the hand of the enemy;
- You next level of fulfillment might be one praise away.
- Make sure when God blesses you say so. Say the blessing. Name the Grace he has bestowed on you.
God wants to change your heart into a grateful one. He does that by giving you the opportunity to praise Him. To let His blessings flow again. His blessing, your praise, the give the take…
II. God wants to give you a grateful heart.
A. To get a grateful Hear you must practice thankfulness
- Acknowledge the blessing
- The habit of thanking and praising leads you to gratitude.
- You need to have grateful habits to have a grateful heart
B. Gods gifts alone are not able to give you joy. You have to have gratitude.
- Without heartfelt gratitude, even if god does give you something you can’t enjoy it.
- Happy people are not the ones with the most but the ones who make the most of what they have.
III. 3 levels of faith that give us a grateful heart
1. God is good 1st level of true faith in God.
Deuteronomy 8:10 - When you have eaten your fill, be sure to praise the Lord your God for the good land he has given you
- He is saying don’t forget... We all have the potential to forget the provider once you received it.
- You can have all the blessings and provisions you can handle, but if you can’t turn the blessing into praise you will never have joy.
- My crazy family, freedom to worship, for answered prayers, etc...
- Some of you are stuck on this level never making it to the next because you are standing in a blessing that used to be a prayer request and you haven’t praised him. You forgot.
2. God is great 2nd level of faith.
Psalm 23:1 - The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, 3he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake. 4 Even though I walk through the darkest valley,[ I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. 5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. 6 Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
- I have lost.. I will praise him even though…
- This is where you thank God for what you can’t see.
- He prepares a table for me in the presence of my enemies. Praise me even though that addiction still haunts me… Even though my marriage is still on the rocks.
- A heart of praise in the presence of my enemies.
3. Let us thank Him… 3rd level of faith
Philippians 1:17-18 - The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains. 18 But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice.
- Christ is preached. and because of … I rejoice.
- To be blessed at the point of pain.
- I praise him for what the situation is bringing me.
1 Thessalonians 5:18 - Give thanks in everything, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
Because of… the Increase of who I am because of what I have gone through. Let us thank him…
Maybe your not fulfilled because you have forgotten and haven’t praised. If you are ever to have a grateful heart. You are going to have to say the grace. Whatever the blessing is say it by name. You may be one praise away from another level of faith…