Joshua 21:43- 45
I. Givers and Takers
A. Everyone is a giver or taker
- All you takers are looking for givers
- I have got a whole lotta love to give and the takers say I’ll take it! I’ll take it and suck you dry and demand more!
B. Takers never say, Man I need help I’m such a taker
Proverbs 11:24 (The Msg) - The world of the generous gets larger and larger; the world of the stingy gets smaller and smaller.
- Taking shrinks you.
- Ever notice the people who are always about get are the emptiest people. In math that doesn’t make sense
- God is a giver He is actually an out giver. He always out gives.
- God is a giver but he is portrayed as a taker. Which isn’t logical.
C. The truth is that there is always give and take
- Every marriage has a give and take
- Every relationship, look at parents you give your kids take…
- Every church has give and take, give their lives, money and time to reach people with the gospels
Job 1:21 says of God that he gives and takes, blessed be the name of the lord. I want to declare that for all of us there is a time to give and a time to take
II. Time to Take
Joshua 21:43-45 - So the Lord gave to Israel all the land he had sworn to give their ancestors, and they took possession of it and settled there. 44 And the Lord gave them rest on every side, just as he had solemnly promised their ancestors. None of their enemies could stand against them, for the Lord helped them conquer all their enemies. 45 Not a single one of all the good promises the Lord had given to the family of Israel was left unfulfilled; everything he had spoken came true.
A. AND THEY TOOK…
- The Lord gave Israel what he promised and the TOOK IT.
B. You can’t settle to you get there.
- Don’t settle until there.
- A lot of us do we settle before we received everything God has for us.
C. Sometimes it’s a battle
- Sometimes we must fight for what God promised us.
- It doesn’t say that they didn’t fight against them it says the couldn’t stand up when his people fought back.
D. ALL HE has Promised
Joshua 21:45 - Not a single one of all the good promises the Lord had given to the family of Israel was left unfulfilled; everything he had spoken came true.
- God gave all he promised, I want all he has promised me. And they took.
- God let me want what you give
III. Refusal to take.
A. number one reason for a meaningless Christian existence. Why?
- You Don’t have anything to Give until you take… AM
- You can’t give Until you take You have to take to give
- This church exist because God gave and some here took what he gave
B. We are unfulfilled and empty because we haven’t taken
- Some of us are empty because we don’t take what he gives… Joy peace hope love acceptance
- Just because he promises us something don’t me we possess it.
Philippians 3:12 - Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me
- He took hold of me to give Peace Love Joy Hope blessing.
C. You need to be in processes of giving and taking all the time
Philippians 3:13-14 - Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
- Paul says I haven’t got it all. But I am forgetting what is behind and I press forward for what he has for me.
- You have to take it by faith. There is always more to give and more to take..
Joshua 13:1 - Now Joshua was old, advanced in years. And the Lord said to him: “You are old, advanced in years, and there remains very much land yet to be possessed
- If you are empty it’s not God's fault because He is a filler
- He never runs out with what he gives and you will be taking in your dying breath
- If you settle before you’re there. You will not take what he has promised you.
Summary: Its time to do some taking.
PRAY: GOD today by faith I take that peace, that strength that hope I take it. You gave it I take it right now in JESUS name.