I. The Two of you
A. When you are born you are born into Adam
1 Corinthians 15:21-22 So you see, just as death came into the world through a man, now the resurrection from the dead has begun through another man. 22 Just as everyone dies because we all belong to Adam, everyone who belongs to Christ will be given new life.
The bible also refers to this nature as the flesh. It is your inner desire toward sin. The natural propensity to sin.
B. The new nature is given to you the moment you accept Christ
The new nature is new life and new power
It is not your conscience; your conscience is a mental and emotional thing and can be manipulated, seared and affected by circumstances and belief systems.
One of the most crucial aspects of growth in our lives is learning to trust God concerning our two natures.
II. Trusting God concerning the Two of You
1. You express faith concerning your new nature when you see yourself as a new person.
2 Corinthians 5:17 - This means that anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun!
The moment you received Christ a spiritual transaction happened that changed everything.
I was in Adam and now I am in Christ, Our soul came into union with God because of Christ.
Ephesians 1:3-4 All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly realms because we are united with Christ. 4 Even before he made the world, God loved us and chose us in Christ to be holy and without fault in his eyes.
An exchange of life has occurred. You give Jesus your life and he gives you His. This is a matter of Faith and not sight. You must Trust God that this occurred.
So what changes? Things you can’t see that will last forever….
- You the light of the world Matt5:14
- Child of God John 1:12
- I am chosen and appointed by Christ to bear His fruit John 15:16
- A slave of righteousness Roman 6:18
- I am a saint Ephesians 1:1
- I am a enemy of the devil 1Peter5:8
- I am a citizen of heaven Philippians 3:20
- I will be like Christ when he returns. 1John3:1-2
The greatest step of faith in our lives is to believe what God says about Jesus and we are saved.
The second is to believe what God says about you because of your belief in Jesus.
2 truths about your new life.
1. You don’t achieve New Life. New life is a creation of God!
Colossians 3:10 - Put on your new nature, and be renewed as you learn to know your Creator and become like him.
2. You don’t have to work to keep your new life
Colossians 3:3-4 - For you died to this life, and your real life is hidden with Christ in God. 4 And when Christ, who is your life, is revealed to the whole world, you will share in all his glory.
We express our faith in our new nature by believing what God says about us. God has decided that this is who you are.
2. You express faith concerning your old nature when you see yourself as dead to sin.
What does it mean that your old nature is dead. We have been talking about it for 2000 years.
- No longer a influence on your life
- No longer has the power to force you to sin-you have a choice
- No longer enjoy sin the way you used to-you have changed.
Ephesians 4:22 throw off your old sinful nature and your former way of life, which is corrupted by lust and deception.
How do I throw off the old nature?
- Not by ignoring it: you can’t pretend you are not tempted.
- Not by human effort: this is not a self-discipline and determination game.
- You throw off the old nature by believing what God has done.
- Only one of you can live at a time and God is saying one of you is dead. Your sin nature wants you to believe you can live as two.
You believe in your new life and you believe that your old life is dead. We must trust God that this is true and to step out in faith and start living like it. This temptation I have cannot overpower me unless I let it. I am a new creation and I am dead to that. I have the power in Christ to say no that I have never had before.
3. You express faith concerning you new and old natures when you see yourself with a new power to overcome evil.
Before salvation I belonged to Satan
John 8:44 - For you are the children of your father the devil, and you love to do the evil things he does. He was a murderer from the beginning. He has always hated the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, it is consistent with his character; for he is a liar and the father of lies.
After salvation I belong to God
Romans 1: 6 And you are included among those Gentiles who have been called to belong to Jesus Christ.
Because I belong to God Satan has no power over me
1Peter 5:8-9 Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. 9 Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that the family of believers throughout the world is undergoing the same kind of sufferings.
Through the power and Authority of God we can resist the devil and temptation to sin
When we believe God about our 2 natures we open up ourselves to His power and authority over them.
III. What about my 2 ME’s?
A. Don’t worry God hasn’t left your growth up to chance
The foundation of your sanctification is the death burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ because of Him I am no longer a slave. I have new life.
Galation 2:20 My old self has been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. So I live in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
Romans 6:11-13 So you also should consider yourselves to be dead to the power of sin and alive to God through Christ Jesus. 12 Do not let sin control the way you live; do not give in to sinful desires. 13 Do not let any part of your body become an instrument of evil to serve sin. Instead, give yourselves completely to God, for you were dead, but now you have new life. So use your whole body as an instrument to do what is right for the glory of God.
The word consider is the word count. You are dead to sin you can count on it, you are alive in God count on it.
B. But how do I know this is happening
Your sin is not as satisfying as it once was. Its great for a season but you don’t get what you used to out of it. You are growing because now you are a slave to righteousness.
Romans 6:18 Now you are free from your slavery to sin, and you have become slaves to righteous living.
Bible says you are a slave to the lender. Everything is interpreted through your debt.
You know this to be true as a Christian. More and more your life is interpreted through righteous living.
Philippians 2:13 For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him.
The struggle we all have against sin will be ours until the day we are called home. The frustration you feel is because you believe what God says about Jesus, but you choose not to believe what he says about you. Sanctification is a battle of belief.
- Have you been frustrated by the battle with sin? How do you think facing the battle through faith in God rather than with just personal willpower will make a difference in your daily life?
- How would the truths we’ve discussed help you to answer someone who has the following questions:
- I’m not really sure I’m a believer because of the way I sometimes act.
- Why do I keep doing the same wrong things over and over now that I am a believer?