Guest Speaker: Steve Sayers
Ryan’s Message last week - “Bring it”.
As Christian men, we have not "brought it" very well.
Speaking to men, but ladies don't check out today! You can help and encourage the men in your life.
This message is not just for married men and dads... its for friends, co-workers, accountability, mentoring, etc.
Not intended to bring feelings of guilt or shame… it's never too late to change.
As men, we have become lazy, wimpy, selfish, and irresponsible.
Adam didn’t take responsibility. He blamed Eve.
We have dropped the ball as Christian men. We've fallen asleep at the wheel.
We are caught up in jobs, hobbies, toys, money, selfish desires, addictions, etc.
We haven’t sought to follow and obey God.
We haven't taken responsibility for the spiritual growth of our families.
In my job, I have seen first hand results of broken families.
Men the responsibility rests with us.
- Nineteen percent of churchgoers read the Bible daily.
- Women are more likely than men to pray and read the Bible daily.
- Ninety five percent of Christian books are bought by women.
The church in Corinth was a mess. People were caught up in immorality and idolatry. Spiritual immaturity was undermining the church.
Christians were blending in… as true believers we should not be blending in... we should be set apart.
1 Corinthians 16:13-14 - Be on your guard, stand firm in the faith, be men of courage, be strong and do everything in love.
Paul encouraging Timothy as a young leader in the church:
1 Timothy 6:11-12 - But you, man of God, flee from all of this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness. Fight the good fight of the faith.
The word “fight” implies that it will not be easy!
How do we step up and be the courageous men that God wants us to be?
- Seek and Pursue God - Our relationship with God should be at the core of who we are as Christian men. (Read the Bible and Pray Daily)
- Control Emotions/Passions - Self-control, quick to listen and slow to speak, be careful about what we watch, look at, how we act, etc.
- Provide for Family - Financially, emotionally, spiritually.
- Protect the Family - Temptations of this world, resist evil.
- Serve and Lead Family - Servant leader, selfless, other's needs before our own, love as Jesus loves.
We need a generation of courageous men who are willing to step up and have the courage to do the right thing.